[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Groopies

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Lia Bulaong wrote:

> I was just wondering how many of us deluded fans of Groo are female. It just
> occured to me a few minutes ago that most (if not all) of the people who
> regularly mail the list are men. And all the Groo-related sites are, as far
> as I know, owned by guys. So, is the vast majority of Groopies really male?
> And if so, why?
> I'm not asking this out of any need to analyze us as a group or anything
> like that, okay---I was just struck by an uncontrollable fit of curiousity.
> Any answers or theories out there?

	I think it has more to do with why are the majority of comic book
readers *in general* male.  Historically, comic books, IMHO, have been
male-oriented.  Back in the day of The Lone Ranger and other westerns
then through Superman and other heroes, the appeal and market has been
predominantly for boys/males/men.  Since Groo cuts a relatively small
peice of the comic market pie, the proportion of female readers would
also be cut to a fairly small number.  But, I have seen letters in the
Letters Page that were written by females -- so don't feel that you're
alone. . . . :-}  Also, the fact that a large majority of computer users
are male would accentuate the fact that there are very few female Groo
fans on the Internet.  Or so *I* think, anyway.

	Explaining *why* comic readers and computer users are
predominantly male is a whole other kettle of fish -- but I'll give you a
hint as to what i think: parental stereotyping, genetics, and cheese dip!

Ruben.