[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Groopies

I asked:
>> I was just wondering how many of us deluded fans of Groo are female. So,
is >>the vast majority of Groopies really male? And if so, why? Any answers
or >>theories out there?

Ruben answered:
>I think it has more to do with why are the majority of comic book
>readers *in general* male.  Historically, comic books, IMHO, have been
>male-oriented.  Back in the day of The Lone Ranger and other westerns
>then through Superman and other heroes, the appeal and market has been
>predominantly for boys/males/men.  Since Groo cuts a relatively small
>peice of the comic market pie, the proportion of female readers would
>also be cut to a fairly small number.  But, I have seen letters in the
>Letters Page that were written by females -- so don't feel that you're
>alone. . . . :-}  Also, the fact that a large majority of computer users
>are male would accentuate the fact that there are very few female Groo
>fans on the Internet.  Or so *I* think, anyway.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

>[snip] ...Explaining *why* comic readers and computer users are
>predominantly male is a whole other kettle of fish -- but I'll give you a
>hint as to what i think: parental stereotyping, genetics, and cheese dip!

And mulch, whatever that is.

:] Lia

bula@tridel.com.ph
http://www.tridel.com.ph/user/bula/

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
				                - Roald Dahl