[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Uncle Scrooge

You wrote:

>So, Mark, did you write any stuff for Uncle Scrooge w/ Western at all?
>I might have some stuff of yours...

ME: During the time I worked for Western Publishing, the UNCLE SCROOGE
comic book was all reprints, usually of Mr. Barks's work.  I did some
issues of BEAGLE BOYS, SUPER GOOF and MOBY DUCK that guest-starred the
world's richest duck, but no issues of UNCLE SCROOGE.  I did do a few
SCROOGE stories that were only printed overseas.

>Western...wasn't that the company whose logo was the smiling guy with
>the 'W' on his head?

ME: Western Printing and Lithography issued their comics under a number
of labels over the years.  They were under the DELL imprint until 1962
or so, then they became Gold Key.  Late in their history, they began
issuing their comics in two formats.  The Gold Key format was sold on
newsstands and then they also printed some copies of the same issues
with a Whitman insignia, for sale in retail outlets like K-Mart.  Same
insides, only the cover emblem changed.  The Whitman logo is what
you're remembering.