[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(Fwd) Re: Groo / library

All,

Im not so sure that Groo becoming a learned fellow was really necessary to the
intelligent appeal of the comic. My love of Groo came from the ability to apply
the morals and themes of the stories to real life.

Groo learning to read was indeed a fun scenario, but the appeal of Groo would
have been the same had he still read the sign "East" as "the town of
Armadillio". Groo is/was unlike any other comic I have ever seen. I do not own
any other comics than Groo. The clever humour was akin to English comedy,
whereby the jokes were subtle and could be applied to real situations. Groo's
character added the blunt humour, did I err, I am the Prince of Chichester. The
excellence was in combining this with story lines that mirrired life. Groo
becoming a "modern' artist is an obvious example that sticks in my mind.
My interest in Groo is with the storyline, sorry Sergio, my allegiance is won
through words as opposed to pretty pictures (but they were good pictures).

I hope i am not becoming one of those ridiculous 'critics' that find
nonexistent meanings behind songs/books/pictures, 'you can just see how his
inner anger is reflected in the texture of the character , yikes'.

I hope Groo appealed to others in this way.

Ta

--

John Astill
Email. jastill@hns.com