A question for the coolness challenged

If you're a Groo subject absolutist, delete this message.

Quick technoquestion:

I recently installed a graphics program which reassociated my bmp files to its
executable under a new name.  I fixed this by removing its associated file
type (the new one) from my folder options.  Unfortunately this removed the bmp
type too.  I tried reassigning bmps to another application, but it said the
extension was in use by yet a third application, which I didn't know I had. I
can't find this application listed in my file types menu, so I can't remove
it.  I tried deleting the actual program, but that didn't work.  So I restored
it, but I still have my original problem.  How can I disassociate bmps from
this file type if it's not listed in the menu?  One thing I tried was I
created a new file type (called bbp) with the same properties as bmps
associated with the correct application, but I don't want to go changing all
my bmps to bbps.  Is there a way to do this automatically, or a small C-
double-plus program I could write quickly and easily to do it for me?

-TGD

PS: OK, so it wasn't a quick question.

PPS:  "No shadows on the moon nor patterns in the storm." where is this quoted
from?