lunch box prices

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 aberlett@G-and-O.com wrote:

> $2 may be the cost of the tin/metal (or clay for the statue), but if they
> charged you  $2, they'd make no money..
> Sergio (and the rest) do want reimbursement for these ventures.. so their
> "design fee" is worked into the cost..

True. This could bump it a little, but well deserved.

> Someone has to operate the machines that make the product...
> The machines have to be set up, perhaps molds or stamps created, for something
> that is limited in its market, which means we have to eat up more of the cost of
> those things..

As these costs are often taken in places where the monthly salary is
about $20, I doubt this adds any more to the cost of the item than the
materials...if THAT much!

> and i don't have a statue, but wasn't that probably hand painted?...

Again, if you pay somebody $1/day to paint 20 statues...works out to
about a nickel a statue.

> and to top it all, is of course the limited nature of these things, which
> justifies (to the maker) a price spike for the end product...
> so, thats why we the comsumer take it the rear for these little things..

EXACTLY!!! The price is (mostly) driven by what we are willing to pay.
Period. And the company (not the workers, or the designers) making them
will usually make the majority of the profit.

Kevin