Re: regarding happy99 virus

hi ALL,

sorry for the non-groo post

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Mark Evanier wrote:

> ME: I use McAfee Virus Scan and I have the latest update.  I'm not
> sure how other virus checkers work but McAfee, like most of them, will
> catch such a virus when it's planted, not when it's downloaded.

some anti-virus will scan your message
right after the download and warn you

but like eric said,

> >It's possible that new virus's aren't covered by
> >your anti-virus program version, too.  You may want
> >to get the free updates for your anti-virus program
> >from time to time.

so, be sure to always have the latest update for you anti-virus
some virus can even have new versions and variations that won't be
detected

and

> (Actually, it's not a virus; it's called a worm program.)

Actually this happy99.exe and melissa are trojan/worm

trojans are programs that seem to do something but do another

and worms are programs that can send temselves automatically
to others

> Merely having the Happy99.exe program attached to an e-mail does not
> mean you have a worm or virus on your computer.

correct, so do not trust those msgs
about "do not open the message with XXX on the subject"

> Running Happy99
> releases the worm and that's when McAfee catches it.

that's McAfee VirusShield
that stays in memory and checks for viruses being loaded
you can find the virus by scanning the files,
without running then

ps: I run linux, so i also didn't have problems with the .exe file, pcs
can be as safe as macs
pps: i wonder if there is some award for the most technical post
ppps: Serah que eu errei?
pppps: ops, i mean, Did i err?
ppppps: humm... i forgot what to say in this one

[]'s Borje...
bffk@di.ufpe.br

                           -x-
     /^\
     \ /  CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
      X   ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
     / \