Re: Instruments (total NON-Groo)

This mail is waaayyy too long, and totaly non-Groo. You have been warned.

On Fri, 7 May 1999, The Grossmanns wrote:

> Which 70's?   The early 70's that had Lead Zepplin, the Stones when they
> were still fresh, and rock n' roll bands like Bachman-Turner Overdrive?  Or
> the late 70's of Disco?  (Which,as everyone knows, SUCKED!!!!)  Or the late
> 70's of anti-Disco (aka Punk Rock)?  (Which produced cutting edge bands
> like Blondie).  Hmmm.  Let's see.  Barry Manilow was also really big on the
> pop charts in the mid to late 70's.  The 70's also had a bunch Motown-esque
> groups with big hair, polyester suits, a little choreography, and lead
> singers who sang in faltsetto.  To those of us who lived through it, the
> 70's had a lot more music than the sound track to Saturday Night Fever.
> So here's my advice, Ralph:   Play that funky music, white boy!

All along the 70's, there was also MAGMA !!
The band put out 9 or 10 albums between 1970 and 1984, with a lot of
change in the people in the band.

I won't start to explain why it is soooo good, because I'd probably scare
you away. There are a lot of links at the end of this mail.

Okay, this is a french band, but they and their unique style ("Zeuhl")
seems to be well known all over the world. They often tour in Japan, I
heard.

Anyway (plug plug), they'll tour in the US this year!

TOUR U.S.A/MEXICO (www.pangeamusic.com)

May 28 : CHICAGO - Martyr's Club
May 30 : SAN FRANCISCO PROGFEST - Palace of Fine Arts
June 1st - LOS ANGELES - House of Blues
June 4 and 6 : MEXICO City - Teatro Angela Perarlta
June 8th - NEW YORK CITY - JVC/BELL ATLANTIC JAZZ FESTIVAL

And for more information:
 http://www.seventhrecords.com/
 http://members.aol.com/sleeplessz/
 http://www.room34.com/magma/ (a few sound samples here)
 http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/8366/
 http://www.liii.com/~artech/magma/
 http://www.landfield.com/faqs/music/progressive/general/ (a FAQ with a
 few words about Magma)

Sorry I couldn't find much sites with Magma samples. Any search engine
responds quite well to the "magma christian vander" stimuli.

As someone said on his Magma web site: "I can't recommend them highly
enough, but all disclaimers apply. You probably won't get it until the
tenth listen.". And this mail is already too long.

 Philippe BRUHAT - BooK                        http://www2.ec-lille.fr/~book/

 He who marries for money never marries for real.