Re: Question for M E

On Thu, 20 May 1999 19:30:14 PDT, "Saad Azim" <fuchikaka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>how did You, Sergio, Stan and Tom meet?  Did you guys know each other prior
>to Groo, or did you guys got togather doing Groo?  Who met who first?
>Anyone??

ME: I met Sergio in 1969 when he was a guest speaker at the comic book
club of which I was president.  We became pals after that.

In 1976, along with comic book writer-artist-editor Don Rico, Sergio
and I founded a Los Angeles-based cartoonist group called CAPS -- the
Comic Art Professional Society.  Stan Sakai and Tom Luth began
attending meetings, and that's how we all met.

GROO started with Sergio doing drawings and sketches which he showed
me (and others) from time to time.  We published his first little
story in the DESTROYER DUCK comic and, thereafter, Sergio came to me
and asked me to collaborate with him on future stories.  It was his
idea to tap Stan Sakai as letterer and I engaged my friend Gordon Kent
to be colorist.  (Gordon had colored the story in DESTROYER DUCK so
he's the one who designed Groo's color scheme.  Gordon, by the way, is
currently directing cartoons for Disney TV Animation and writing the
RUGRATS newspaper strip.)  When Gordon got too busy, we brought in Tom
Luth as colorist.

And the rest is history.  Or something.

Mark Evanier
PMB 303