color separations (non-Groo)

>~~~~ Well, I print color separations occaisionally.  It breaks down the
>colors on any given page into their seperate components.  We all know
>colors are composites of other colors.  I'm not sure how they do it for
>comics, but basically it's A red sheet, green sheet and blue sheet that
>when overlayed, creates the correctly desired color.  (I've never actually
>seen it done for a comic, but I think mostly it's done on transparent
>film.)  -- is that right, Chris?

For four-color separations, which is what is used by printers, you have 4
inks, cyan (which is a blue), magenta (a red), yellow, and black. These are
referred to by the shorthand CMYK (K for black so as not to confuse a B for
blue). Full-color artwork is shot through filters for each of these colors
to break it up into component colors, which when printed together make full
color art, blue, red and yellow being the three primary colors for
reflected art with black added for value (relative lightness and darkness).
Each color is screened to determine how much of that color is added to the
mix. Then negatives are made and plates are burned from the negs. Now when
you get to projected color, the whole thing changes, because you're using
red, green, and blue. Hence RGB color for computer screens. Hope that's not
too much info. I could go deeper, but I'm sure nobody really cares. If you
do, email me and I'll bore you to tears.

Just so this isn't totally Groo-less, I'm spending the next half hour or so
sorting my newly acquired old Groos so they're all in cases. (As if anybody
cared about that, either.)

Chris