Re: Q for ME

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:26:11 -0400, Nate Piekos <nate@piekosarts.com>
wrote:

>1) How long does it take to write a finished comic script? And do you
>generally write them by hand or via word processing?

ME: I've done 25 pages in a day but a more human pace would be 2-3
days.  The SUPERMAN-BUGS BUNNY project I just wrote was so complicated
that it took twice as long as it should have.

On GROO, I used to pencil the dialogue right in on the page and then
Stan would ink over my lettering.  A few years ago, I switched over to
writing on the computer, though I still pencil some things in where I
want certain lettering placement.  Everything else is done at the
computer, too.

>2) How many pages of script equals 1 page of comic?

ME: Well, if I'm writing dialogue on already-pencilled art (as with
GROO), the dialogue for one page of the comic usually doesn't fill one
page of manuscript.  When I write a full-script, I try to work one
page to one page but it sometimes takes one and a half.

>3)  How detailed do you generally get in your script?  Working w/ Sergio
>for so long must be almost like writing a script for yourself.  You
>probably don't have to get as detailed for Sergio as you would for an
>artist you've never worked with before.

ME: The only time I've ever written a detailed script for Sergio was
FANBOY #5.  In every other case, he does pencil layouts before I do
any dialogue -- either working from his plot, my plot or a joint
effort.  On FANBOY, on certain issues of GROO (including the graphic
novels) and a few others, I've given him panel-by-panel breakdowns of
the plot.  It might look like this...

PAGE EIGHT
1. Groo runs to the castle.
2. Groo stops at the moat.  He has to figure out how to get across.
3. Groo thinks real hard.
4. Inside the castle, the King is telling his soldiers to kill Groo.

Then, he lays out the story in very sketchy pencil and he is free to
change things, re-pace, add gags, etc..  Most of the time on GROO, he
doesn't get anything in advance.  He just makes up the story and lays
it out.

The rough layout pages go to me and I write the dialogue.  Often, I
erase his layouts and move things around.  I have been known to move
pages around...or to follow exactly what he gives me.

>4)  What do you do with all your scripts after?  Seal them away like
>comics, or would you consider giving a signed copy to an admiring fan (hint
>hint.) ; )

ME: The GROO scripts are just the dialogue typed up.  Stan throws them
away after he letters the pages.

The more detailed scripts usually get thrown away later in the
process...when they're no longer needed.  Usually by then, they're a
mess of smudges, ink stains, doodles, etc..  I rarely get them back.
Usually, if someone wants to see one, it's easier to have the computer
print out a fresh copy.

Mark Evanier
PMB 303
363 S. Fairfax Ave.