Nightmares of Groo contest!

Ok, all the entries are in... Well done, folks!  Four of you found it
within yourselves to share your talent and inspiration with us all --
or, maybe you just wanted to WIN?!?

Here're the entries:

>From Finn Smith <mulch3@hotmail.com:

The story:  Groo has been the victim of bad dreams for several nights
now
and they are progressively becoming worse.  In one of the worst of them,
he
is petrified of battle and unable to hold his swords.  These dreams are
so
disturbing, that he cannot gain a full night's rest and he's beginning
grow concerned.  He wanders from village to village, seeking help for
his
insomnia, until he chances upon the Sage . . .

"The Nightmares Of Groo"

Nightmares are hard to ascertain-
Dark images that haunt the brain
Wishing to sleep the whole night through-
Peaceful slumber won't come to you
Shadows nameless and full of dread-
Horror tales you should not have read
Having dinner close to your bed-
Scary stories inside your head
Monsters, spiders, the chill of night-
Become the recipes of fright.
But when you wake up in a sweat-
Trembling, bleary-eyed, cold, and wet-
One thing, my friend, is always true-
Bad dreams are much preferred to Groo.

"The Nightmares of Groo"

His wandering-
and pondering-
are sadly interrupted

Our Hero's dreams-
are cracked, it seems-
his sleep badly corrupted

Visions of dread-
inside Groo's head-
(once inhabited by air)

A bloodshot gaze-
no rest for days-
all due to this nightmare!

He's in a trap-
he cannot nap-
there's nothing worse (it's true)

Unless of course-
in this Dark Horse-
HE meets an exhausted Groo!

>From  Lucky Cat <luckycat1998@hotmail.com>:

"The Nightmares of Groo"

Some people say that Groo was sleeping,
when their village he wandered by
His swords were drawn, his eyes were closed
His trusted pooch was by his side.

Poor Rufferto, he could not see
what Groo envisioned in his sight,
But faithfully he followed Groo,
To see what Groo would fight.

The dreams, they came nightly
And Groo was ready to do battle
With the imaginary dragon,
that came to steal the cattle.

Groo swung and swished at the air,
Rufferto, fearful for his friend,
Found the Sage and brought him back
To bring the nightmares to an end.

The Sage was thoughtful as well as wise
His advice was steady and true
If you watch what you eat before you sleep
It will stop the nightmares of Groo.

§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.§.

The Nightmares of Groo

Come sit with me round the fire,
And listen closely to my song,
And I will tell to you the story
Of the night when things went wrong.

The dreams would come late at night,
And last until the dawn,
Groo found himself married with family,
That wanted to tag-along.

His wandering days were over
With a family to support
He no longer sought out frays
But washed diapers by the port.

Groo searched for answers but to no avail
He needed the advice of Sage
Maybe he could cure these dreams
And rid him of his cage.

Groo found the Sage and asked for help
"What could he possibly do?"
The words of wisdom from the Sage
Were -- "Bachelorhood for you".

>From "TT PARTNERSHIP" <ttpbst@ihug.co.nz>:

They say to be brave is to be without fear,
And a man without brains is certainly there!
Well GROO has no mind, so he's rarely afraid
- Except for that time when he thought he filleted
his dog Rufferto (an easy mistake),
Or else when he had a mysterious ache -
But none of the things that he's faced in his life
Come close to the horrors that plague him at night.
The Nightmares of Groo are horrid indeed,
So blasphemous that he's truly in need
of a cure. He searches, from town to town,
To see if somebody(like a doctor)'s around.
Instead he found Sage, who insisted he should
Face something more fearful than the things he would
dream. So our swordsman, our fighter, hero and hunter
Will face real horror, and RE-MARRY BUNTA!!!!!

>From g boyer <gboyer1998@hotmail.com>:

The Nightmares of Groo

Gather around, my friends, and hear
A woeful tale of Groo,
Whose terrible dreams were haunting him
But why? Groo hadn?t a clue.

It seems he dreamt he?d lost his swords
And he knew not where to look,
And though he searched from town to town
He couldn?t find the crook.

For without his swords it seems that Groo
Is lost and gone astray,
It seems to be that the wanderer
Gets strength from his love of the fray

So in search of help from the sage they went
His advice always helpful and kind
The disappearance of your swords, he said
Is only in your mind.

For asleep beside the brook you are
Your swords above you sway
In the breeze, blowing through the trees
Ready for your next fray.

I was really impresse by these entries -- great stuff, folks!  After
mulling over them for many moons over fresh baked Dognuts and Ice Cold
Bears, I decided on the winner:

Finn Smith's second poem!  I loved all the gags he packed into such a
simple format.  It was also more along the lines of the Introduction to
the story that I wanted (not a recount of what happens in it).

Finn wins an autographed (and sketched) copy of Epic Illustrated #27.
Congrats!

And just for being such great contestants, the rest of you will win one
of my cheesey mystery prizes.  Just send me your snail address to claim
it.....

Huzzah!

Ruben.