What's the big deal about selling signed cards?

I don't fully understand why there is such a strong outcry over selling
signed stuff on eBay. Although I personally would likely never do such a
thing, I don't see the big deal about all this "soft-flaming".

Think about it, when artists stop signing stuff because they fear people
are profiting from it, they are actually making the matter worse. First, it
hurts the true fans. Second, the fewer things that are signed, the more
valuable they become (under nornal circumstances) and the bigger price they
will fetch on auctions such as eBay. However if the value drops because of
increased availability, it will be less worthwhile for the "scalpers" and
you will likely see less of it happening.

Besides, there may be some poor slob out there who has no other way of
getting a signed card. In this case the scalper is actually providing a
service.

I say we get on with being groopers with all the silliness that goes with
that and avoid making people feel so guilty (in posting this however, I
risk making the soft-flamers feel guilty).   :o)

Fifty years from now when a signed card is gets sold on eBay for $8000
($250 in today's dollars), I doubt we'll be so upset by it. Why waste
energy on the issue now when the same card today is likely to not even sell
for $5?

I think if Groo got a signed card he'd be the first to sell it for a few
kopins or trade it for some cheese dip (especially since he doesn't have a
pocket to keep it in).

P.S. Have you noticed that M.E. has been rather silent on this issue even
when prompted about it?

~Vaughn Seward (cFlat7)