Selling FREE autographed cards, part 3

At 19/08/99 10:30 PM , Ruben wrote:
>It's not really the money, it's the principle of it -- the autograph is
>given for free to an apparent fan and not supposed to be sold.  That was
>the pretense of the autographing session, and the scammer pulled a fast
>one.

If the pretense of the autographing session is that you are not to sell the
signed card then I can appreciate better what the fuss is all about.
However, the pretense may be known to some and apparently many in the
Groop, but is this a common understanding? Is this made clear by the
artists at the convention? Is there a notice on the bottom of the card that
says, "Promotional purposes only, not for re-sale"? With a lot of people
getting signed cards, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are unaware
of the pretense (I could be wrong as I have never attended a con).

BTW, a closer analogy might be the following:

Your neighbor, Mr. Red, is in the business of selling fire wood. You meet
him downtown at a booth in the farmers market and after a brief chat you
accept a flyer advertising his hand-chopped wood. The next day Mr. Red
opens up the local newspaper and notices an ad in the classified section:
"RED'S FIRE WOOD FLYER -- $2 OR BEST OFFER, CALL FRED AT 555-1234". Mr. Red
is somewhat amused and wonders why someone would pay $2 for a flyer they
could get from him for free. He is certainly not upset... in fact it dawns
on him that by placing the ad you have actually provided him with free
advertising for his fire wood business. And perhaps if the flyer does
eventually sell, maybe the purchaser will be so intrigued by it that he/she
will actually buy a box of wood!

~Vaughn Seward (cFlat7)