Re: The signature file/My two kopins

Hi Folks!

To answer Mark's question:

I guess collectors, including collectors like me who are actual fans, are a
somewhat  obsessive lot (Moi?) and it's really easy to slip into the
obsessive mode with respect to getting stuff signed.  "I gotta get
everything!  OK, I got everything!  Now what?  I know!  I'll get everything
signed!!!  Yeah, that's it!  Not only will it be unbelieveably cool all by
itself, but it'll make MY collection better than ol' Fred Ribostat's, even
though he has everything too!"   I guarentee you that's what's going on 99%
of the time.

I probably have as much signed stuff as anyone, having been lucky enough to
catch Sergio when there were not a lot of people around and he kept asking
me if I wanted stuff signed (Vancouver BC was primarily a sports card show)
,  combined with times I brought stuff hoping to get it signed.  It's kind
of a wierd phenomenon.  When I see Sergio, I feel silly asking him to sign
stuff for me.  I mean, he knows me by sight now, calls me one of his biggest
fans, and jokes with me like we are old friends.  THAT is special.  Why do I
need anything signed?  Then I get home and I start thinking gee, wouldn't it
be cool to have all the #1's signed, including all International #1's.  Or
gosh, wouldn't it be neat to have an entire set of cards signed.   So on the
one hand I feel really dumb, but on the other hand, I really want those
cards signed!  Then I feel guilty as well as dumb because people in the
Boonies, or even New York, can't get anything signed unless they have a long
distance friend or buy something.  And you know, I still remember what a
charge I got out of it when Eric sent me a signed Dark Horse card with Groo
thinking "Gary?" before I ever met Sergio or had anything else signed.  And
it's still special, too!

So here you have Mark, who has been a major part of the comics industry for
30 years and is close friends with tons of comics folks understandibly
wondering what's the big deal about signed stuff beyond a couple of things.
Then you have folks with almost no hope of getting something signed in
person and understandibly willing to go to great lengths to get it.  And
then you have folks like me who have had the oppurtunity to get things
signed and have to fight our obsessive tendencies and not feel foolish or
selfish.  It's a goofy world.

Take care all -Gary "No power tools" Grossmann  (Who worked all day on
building his stupid shed, is tired, has achy knees, and needs a hot bath and
a warm wife [or is it the other way around?].