Re: Sergio Tales

Hi Folks!

Ok, two short stories.

The first time I met Sergio, I think he had heard about this crazy person
who collected even the tiniest drawing of Groo and figured I was certifiable
and probably someone to be leary of. (Who could blame him?)  Combine this
with the fact that he had just met Ruben and the Sergiography for the first
time the day before and he was probably ready to make a break for the
airport when I introduced myself! One of the first things he said to me was
"Why would anyone collect Groo?"  I was a tad crestfallen.

Then after we talked for a little while, he realized I had a family
(intact), held down a job, was aloud to move about unsupervised (most of the
time) and, generally, was (like Ruben) not one of those "Get a Life" type
folks.   Anyway, he was very funny when I whipped out my photocopies of all
the Groo appearances in MAD and showed him the Groo List, saying things like
"How can you see that?"  "You must have sacraficed a lot of 'quality time'
to find these" and "I put Groo in 'Captain Bleed?' I have no shame!"  It was
great.

My other story is shorter and about Mark.  Last year in San Diego I met Mark
for the first time, introducing myself after one of his panels.  Later on he
came by Sergio's table when I was there with my boys.  He went straight up
to them and said "I apologize for Groo.  On behalf of Sergio, I apologize to
your entire family.  I'm sorry you will never go to college or own decent
clothes because of Groo, but how were we to know anyone would become as
obsessed as your Dad?"  Or something pretty close to that.  It was very
funny.

Anywho, there you go.  Take care all -Gary G.

PS  COME to GROOFEST 2000 and make your own Sergio tales!!!!