Re: Sergio Tales

Hi guys/grrls!

Well ... at last year's San Diego Comic Con,
Sergio was supposed to do a Batgirl sketch
for me, so from time to time I went back to
his table to see if it was ready.  He usually
leaves his completed sketches in the inside
cover of his sketch portfolio at his table.
Even if my sketch wasn't ready, it was
still fun to look at the other sketches he
had done for other people.

Sooo, I walk over to his table, and there is
a small crowd of 4 or 5 people.  I'm looking
through Sergio's sketch portfolio, another
person is looking through the books and comics
on Sergio's table, one person is talking to
Sergio, and two people are waiting in line to
talk to Sergio.  I'm minding my own business
(as usual), having fun looking through the
sketches, and really not paying much attention
to anyone else (as usual) ...  Now and then,
I overhear part of the conversation from the
person talking to Sergio -- "blah, blah,
blah, ...  Where's Mark?  I've never seen him!
Is that why he doesn't get paid? ..., blah, blah,
blah, ..."  (All the while, I'm still looking down
at the sketch portfolio that's on the table.)
"..., blah, blah, blah, ... blah, blah, blah, ...,
so my son says, 'Why are you buying that comic,
dad?  It doesn't have Groo in it.' ..."
(After hearing that, I thought "Who is that?")
So, I peer over the person looking
at the books and comics to see the person who's
talking to Sergio.  The San Diego Comic Con
prints your name on your badge.  His badge read
"Gary P. Grossmann"!!!  Immediately what
sprung to mind was "Good grief -- it's Gary!"
Of course, that was the first time that I've seen
him.  Plus, I didn't know what he looked like.
On the mailing list, he only described himself
as follically challenged.  But he was wearing a
baseball cap, so that fooled me completely, and I
had no idea it was him!  Kind of like when Clark
Kent wears glasses ...  I guess, the Groo
baseball cap and Groo t-shirt should have tipped
me off, but ...

See you.

Eric