Comic book covers

Somebody said (probably Nate):

> >This is off topic, but it's simply a wonderful essay on the art,
methods> >and history of "The comic book cover"  ...

and somebody else replied:

> I agree, this is a fascinating article. One point is well-taken; his
> discussion of a recent Wonder Woman cover states that, while the art is
> stunning, it doesn't COMMUNICATE anything about the issue or do
> anything to SELL the book other than be an example of good pinup art.
> Although it's a good-looking cover, it places 100% emphasis on the
> graphic element without ever touching on effective storytelling,
> characterization, plot or drama.

One of the reasons I loved the covers for "Fanboy" was that they served a
dual role - they acted as a parody of the original covers, they served as
a teaser for the story inside and they previewed the input of the guest
artist.... er they served a triple role - they acted as a ... (no-one
expects the Spanish Inquisition ;-)

--
David Brain
London, UK