A Grooful Hallowe'en (one cold costume)

Well, my Groo costume was a big hit.

My mother-in-law made me a padded, orange tunic and matching headband
(rambow).  I got a wig from my friend.  I made a black 'pirate-sized'
belt,a and bought some plastic katana (no wakizashi), and painted them
with matching gold paint from the belt buckle.  My wife made me a
leather pouch.  I got a skull with no jaw for a netsuke.  I rigged up
the swords with brown hemp rope.  And yes, I had a blue, betamax
cassette on my chest to hold the rigging!  I wore a flesh-colored long
sleeve shirt and padded the arms.  I found some roman bracers that I
painted red.  Oh, and as for the nose, I managed to find an excellent
gourd-shaped nose (though not large enough) that came as a 'groucho'
style glasses&moustache set -- I removed the nose and glued it on my
face.

Just a word of warning, though.  A Groo costume with naked legs can be
pretty freakin' cold on Hallowe'en!  (survived an hour and a half in a
humid 10 degrees celcius night)

When the photos get printed, I'll post them some where for all to see.

Eventhough I was just 'escorting' my little brother and his friend
around our neighborhood for tricks'n'treats, lots of people *insisted*
that I take some candy for my great costume.

A sampling of some comments I got from people I met in the streets:
"Nice legs!"
"Aren't you cold, dear?"
"It's bad enough that his wife has to follow him around, but with *that*
costume on...."
"Ha!Ha!Har!"
"Who *are* you?" ("I am Groo the Wanderer -- do not take me for the fool
I am!")
"Cold enough for ya'?"

I'm already working on improvements for taking the costume to Groofest
2000 (and the SDCC costume ball).... beware!

Being Groo is fun,
Ruben.

(PS: all I was missing was my tanto knife, but I couldn't find one in
time)