Re: 2000

Hi Folks!

Well, it's the year 2000 for just about everyone except us West Coasters and
folks in Hawaii and a few other pacific islands.  In fact, I imagine our
Pillipino (did I get that right?) , Ausi & New Zealand Groopies are already
bored with the festivities, nursing hang overs, and looking forward to the
first truly monumental event of the 2000's; the start of the next Groo
Mini-Series in a few weeks!

One of the reasons I'm on line is because I heard somewhere that the phone
company has asked folks NOT to be online between 11:00 and 1:00, so screw
that!

Anywho, you notice I have not used the "M" word because that is a year off.
I wonder if they will crank things up again to make more money next year.
Man, I hope not!!!  Personally, I've been incredibly bored with it for
months and I'm a numbers guy!   To me the perfect place to be for the year
2000 would be on the east side of the International dateline at Noon on
December 31, 1999, and then cross over to the west side so it would be Noon
or there abouts on Jan 1, 2000.  I'd miss all the fuss.

Does anyone out there know what the various years are for non-Western
Calendars? I know some are lunar and so it makes things messy.   I haven't
had a chance to do the research.  But I think it's about the year 4600 and
something on the Chinese calendar, I think the Jewish calendar is a couple
hundred years behind that, and I think it's only about 1350 under the
Islamic calendar. Hey, if the Egyptians had maintained a calendar, it would
be about the year 6500!!!! (or something like that)  I read somewhere that
there is something called the Julian Period (not to be confused with the
Julian calendar, although they are related), that back dates things to 4670
BC.  I guess nothing happened before that worth dating.  So is it really the
year 6670 (actually it would still be 6669 here for another 20 minutes)

Anywho (again), now that I have bored you to tears, I'll remind you that
when we take over the world, we will decree and impose the Groo calendar
that would make this new year only the year 18.  Everything else will be BG.

Take care all and have a safe, happy, fulfilling new year.  -Gary G.