Re: Real Comics Geeks?

In a message dated 1/21/0 9:47:30 PM, sac@foolarchy.com writes:

>How many of our Groo Fans are big time comic book geeks?

Well, today I've got about a $100/month or so comic book habit, and let me
tell ya that's showing quite a bit of restraint. There's an awful lot of
really good stuff out there I'd like to get but don't.

Back in the mid 80's, I had about a $120/month comic habit. Remember, I'm
talking cover prices from 60¢ to 75¢ per issue, tops. Doing the math (without
counting actual titles, I'm too lazy), I'm now getting about 30-50 books a
month (depending on miniseries and one-shots and stuff), compared to about
160-200 titles back then, and yes I READ every one!

160-200 sound unlikely?

During that time I had the Collector's Bug REAL BAD, and would get EVERY
SINGLE DC and Marvel title, plus a load of Independents like Jon Sable
Freelance, Badger, Nexus, Grimjack, Airboy (!!!), DNAgents, Crossfire, TMNT
(if ya don't know what THAT stands for, you weren't around then) and more.

Special titles like Crisis on Infinite Earths, Dark Knight and Watchmen I
would buy FIVE sets of, and I got THREE of each #1.

Then I went broke.

One of the biggest regrets I have (which some of you have heard me moan about
before, and is way too common) is the day that I sold off the whole lot (even
Groo!) for a pittance (relatively speaking). That's why you'll occasionally
hear me get up on my soap box and declare myself a READER and not a
COLLECTOR. I can't IMAGINE what I'd be spending today if I still bought
comics like that!

That geeky enough for ya?

-Larry S. AKA The Sheik of Entropy

P.S. I'm still wondering if any GrooFesters want to hit LA the weekend before
to attend G-Fest (G for Godzilla)