Crescendo News - January 2000

CRESCENDO INTERNET MUSIC NEWS - JANUARY 2000

Record setting winter warmth in New England is just now giving
way to truly frigid temperatures and snow. Chile today, hot
tamale! No matter if you're running hot or cold, Crescendo
delivers Internet music to your computer with blistering speed!
In the January 2000 newsletter, you'll experience true
streaming MP3, listen to Charlie Farren, add music to your site
easily, check out our Y2K resolutions, and get free SYSX
support in Crescendo 5.

CONTENTS:

     *Crescendo MAX 5 Beta 3 Streams MP3 Music from Anywhere!
     *Charlie Farren - Crescendo Featured Artist, January 2000
     *Add Music to Your Site with The Crescendo-nator
     *New Year's Resolutions 2000 - The Morning After
     *FREE SYSX Does A MIDI Good - New for Version 5

YOU CAN ALSO READ THE JANUARY 2000 NEWSLETTER ONLINE AT:

     http://www.liveupdate.com/newsletter/january00.html

There, you'll find images and helpful links. The plain text
version of the January 2000 newsletter is provided below.

CRESCENDO MAX 5 BETA 3 STREAMS MP3 MUSIC FROM ANYWHERE!
https://secure.liveupdate.com/buyMAX.html

You asked for streaming MP3 and here it is! With the very
latest Crescendo MAX 5 Beta 3 for Windows 95/98/2000/NT,
Internet Explorer and Netscape, you'll be listening to the
sweet strains of streaming MP3 music sooner than ever before!
For Crescendo listeners with broadband connections, this means
you'll start to hear uninterrupted MP3 music streaming over the
Internet within a few seconds while the rest of the file
continues download in the background. Even if you use a regular
modem, Crescendo MAX lets you start enjoying MP3 music much
sooner.

Let's just have a little test! To experience streaming MP3 with
any Crescendo 5 Beta 3 player installed, visit the Crescendo 5
Music Showcase at:

    http://www.liveupdate.com/crescendo5showcase.html

Note: For demonstration purposes, our showcase is fortified
with a Crescendo StreamSite key so all free Crescendo players
will stream MP3 and MIDI on our site. Learn more about
StreamSite keys at http://www.liveupdate.com/css.html

Upgrade for unlimited streaming! Now that you know why MP3
streaming is essential to your musical well being, upgrade to
Crescendo MAX or Crescendo PLUS to always stream MP3 music no
matter which sites you visit.
http://www.liveupdate.com/prodnew.html

Web Authors! Crescendo 5 programs are the only Windows plugins
for MP3 music that work in both Netscape and Internet
Explorer. There are lots of music players out there, but only
Crescendo allows you to embed MP3 and MIDI music in your web
pages using the standard file formats - .MP3 and .MID. With
JavaScript, control and automate MP3 and MIDI playback. You
don't even need special server software or hardware to add MP3
music to your web site.

CURRENT CRESCENDO MAX AND PLUS USERS!
Check your email for instructions on downloading and installing
Version 5 Beta 3. Hear streaming MP3 music from any site right
now!

CHARLIE FARREN - CRESCENDO FEATURED ARTIST, JANUARY 2000
http://www.liveupdate.com/crescendo5showcase.html

Charlie Farren exploded onto the national scene in the early
'80s as lead singer/guitarist with THE JOE PERRY PROJECT.
Teaming up with Aerosmith's lead guitarist Joe Perry, they
released an acclaimed album on CBS, 'I've Got The Rock And
Rolls Again'. In 1986 Charlie formed FARRENHEIT releasing a
self-titled debut album on Warner Brothers. Three singles, as
well as video exposure on MTV established FARRENHEIT as the
premier Rock act in New England. "Crazy Moon" is from Charlie's
new solo album "Deja Blue". Listen to the free full-length
version of "Crazy Moon" in the Crescendo 5 Music Showcase.
Alone onstage with acoustic guitar in hand, Charlie captivates
audiences with his unique delivery, insightful lyrics,
memorable songs, soaring vocal, and subtle yet innovative
guitar style.

ADD MUSIC TO YOUR SITE WITH THE CRESCENDO-NATOR
http://www.liveupdate.com/addmusic/addmusic.html

Tired of fussing with messy HTML when all you really want to do
is put music on your web site? Stop all the fussing because we
have a solution that'll save you time and aggravation! With
LiveUpdate's new online application, The Crescendo-nator,
you'll whisk away the techno-blues while effortlessly adding
MP3 and MIDI music to your new and existing web pages - in the
blink of an eye! Just tell The Crescendo-nator what you want,
and it does all the work.

Although not designed to remove unwanted hair, virtually erase
unsightly scratches on your car, or dust where no human is able
to reach, The Crescendo-nator *is* designed to generate
error-free HTML code that can be pasted directly into your web
site, and here's the kicker - it's free to use! So act now and
let The Crescendo-nator help add music to your website the EZ
way!

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS 2000 - THE MORNING AFTER
http://www.liveupdate.com

As we emerged cautiously from the underground shelter on a
bright but misty January 1st morning, wiping our unaccustomed
eyes in a deliberate circular motion, we found the world was
just as we left it. It seemed that the only adjustment needed
for Y2K would be to sign checks with two zeros instead of two
nines. Phew! Well, now that we've donated all our surplus
emergency provisions to homeless shelters and food banks, it's
time to script some New Year's resolutions to abide by as we
approach what many believe to be the actual start of the new
millennium - Y2K+1.

Resolution #1 - Write more often. What this means to you is
frequent updates and upgrades, special offers, continued news,
and even more free stuff.

Resolution # 2 - Be more artistic. Featuring more independent
artists from all around the world, our showcase will provide
you with the best music money can't buy, since you'll be able
to listen for free!

Resolution #3 - Expand upon strengths. The LiveUpdate online
store has always been a popular place to buy top-quality
Internet music hardware and software at great prices. This
year, we plan to sell even more Internet music products, which
means we'll be building a bigger and better store complete with
tasty window dressing.

Combined with regular exercise, eating healthy foods, giving to
charity, and meditation, we think the above resolutions seem
reasonable. We'll be mindful of the above Y2K resolutions for
oh, at least a year. Thanks for your continued support! Happy
New Year!

FREE SYSX DOES A MIDI GOOD - NEW FOR VERSION 5
http://www.liveupdate.com/dl2.html

The other day, one of our Crescendo web authors asked us why
the free basic Crescendo player didn't support System
Exclusive (SYSX) messages found in many of the newer MIDI
files. We scratched our heads, swatted at a few ambient flies,
and with a toothless wheeze replied in unison, "I don't know,
but it sure sounds like a darn good idea!" So, we immediately
built SYSX into the free Crescendo 5 Beta 3 players so all
Internet surfers could experience the most stellar MIDI music
possible.

What is SYSX? Let's look this gift-horse right in the mouth!
SYSX messages are transmitted along with MIDI data to
automatically configure synth effects like reverb and
distortion, assign drumsets to multiple percussion channels,
and send all kinds of other system messages that I can't get
into right now. As a listener, all you need to know is that
your MIDI music will sound better than ever before. As a MIDI
file author, you can let your hair down and get wild with your
arrangements and effects knowing that Crescendo 5 will play
them faithfully. All versions of Crescendo 5 Beta 3 now support
playback of XG, GS and GM music files with SYSX.

Want to hear the impact that SYSX has on MIDI music playback?
Download the Yamaha S-YXG SoftSynthesizer to get the world
renowned Yamaha XG software synthesizer complete with lots of
SYSX laden MIDI files.

You are subscribed as "minstrel@groo.com".

We respect your privacy. This newsletter is sent to anyone who
downloaded Crescendo in the past, and indicated with a
checkmark when registering that they'd like to receive
information from us. We would like to let you in on all of the
exciting happenings at LiveUpdate, and the computer music
industry. Your information has not, and will not be given to
others or sold.

Subscribe - If this message was forwarded to you and you'd like
to subscribe to Crescendo News Online, or provide us with a
change of address, simply reply to the address in the header of
this message and include your contact information.

Unsubscribe - To tell us you want to unsubscribe, so we
permanently remove your name from our user list, simply reply
to this message and include the word "unsubscribe" in the
message *subject line*. Your request will be automatically
handled by our mail system.

Thanks for listening.

James Kometani
Crescendo Internet Music Team
Copyright (c) 2000 LiveUpdate. All rights reserved.