From: Gary Grossmann [mailto:grossfam@olywa.net]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 8:19 PM
To: Azamin "Cantona" Zainol Abidin; Groop
Subject: Re: Conan (OT Rant)

The first Conan movie seriously sucks and has no relation whatsoever to the
"Conan Saga" as can be pieced together from Robert E. Howard's various Conan
stories.  Conan at age 14 or 44 (the range of ages in the Howard stories)
would never submit to any form of slavery and would (and did in several
stories) escape at first chance, killing his would-be master in the process
if given less than half a chance.  I have never understood why L. Sprague
DeCamp, a noted fantasy writer who ressurected Conan in the late 1960's when
Tolkien hit the big time (both Howard & Tolkien wrote in the 30's), would
write a sreenplay that was so stupid and so out of sync with the actual
stories.

The Conan movies, comic books, and about one-third of the 61 Conan paperback
books are awful for various reasons.  The best stories/books are by Howard,
Robert Jordan, and John Maddux Roberts.

imho-Gary G.