Re: OT: Of Dodos & Gremlins

 In a message dated 1/25/00 1:43:37 AM, SheikOfEntropy@aol.com writes:

 << In a message dated 1/23/0 1:30:40 PM, me@evanier.com writes:

 >Also, it's not Mxyzptlk in cahoots with the Gremlin.  It WAS...but it
 >turns out that WB doesn't have clear rights to the Gremlin character?

 Lawyers! Harumph!!! >>

     Wasn't that because Disney claimed Warner's gremlins (from FALLING HARE
 and RUSSIAN RHAPSODY, the latter featuring "a gremlin from the Kremlin") were
 too close to its own version of the gremlins, taken from a magazine story by
 "Pegasus" (actually the then-unknown Roald Dahl) and featured in a book
 and a comic strip (drawn by Walt Kelly, yet!) and a planned-but-never-made
 movie? (Though they WOULD do an animated version of the same author's JAMES
 AND THE GIANT PEACH decades later.)

     I didn't know you could copyright a gremlin..but I suppose it's easier
 to be safe than sorry...

 Rich