non-groo: Superman's Rights

Thought I would query some of you Groopers in the know about something I
just read in the latest issue of Wizard:

Just read that the heirs of Jerry Siegel are attempting to regain the
rights to Superman.  Apparently, after 56 years, the law states the
original copyright owner can legally reclaim their copyright.  Does anyone
know about this?  Is this something that they are REALLY serious about?
If so, what would become of Superman?

This came about as a 'by-the-way' in an article that the original creator
of Captain America is trying to do the same thing with his character so he
can move it in a new direction.

If this works, what could happen to Batman (whose 56 years are also up),
Wonder Woman, and the other comic book classics?

I know Sergio refused to publish Groo until he met up with a publisher who
would allow him to retain his rights to the character, and after reading
about Mr. Siegel's and Mr. Shuster's fates at DC, it was a good thing
Sergio waited.  But what about the older ones?

Elie