Coloring Original Art

> But then again, what's really important is that the art belongs to him now
> and if he wants to pay Mark Evanier to hard coat it Cheese Dip, then I
guess
> it's just a matter of what turns him on...

That is true.  But Mark, does the sale of the original art affect the future
copyrights to that art?  Could someone who has purchased the original art
make copies and sell them if any pre-existing contracts concerning that art
have run out?  Or are ownership rights to the tangible personal property
that is the art completely separate from copyrights retained by the artist
unless there is a specific written agreement on the issue as part of the
sale?

> ~~~ I think we're forgetting something.  Tom now colors most if not all
his
> pieces digitally.  So I'm assuming when the guy who paid Tom to color the
> original card art says "I'm having Tom color the original art" he
basically
> means Tom scans the original, digitally colors it in the computer and has
> nice hardcopy produced to give back to the guy.  Therefor the original art
> is not physically altered in any way

Nope, not in this case.  He hired Tom to actually color, i.e. paint, the
original card art.

> Any reason folks can't have the best of both?? I know that inkers can
> used light boxes or vellum or certain methods (at least I've been told
> so) to "ink" a piece, but still keep the pencils intact. Couldn't
> something similar be done with coloring?? Create a high quality
> reproduction of the original, have Tom color that, and maybe even hang
> 'em both up! :) Don't know if it could be done or if it's a silly idea,
> but I think that's the way I'd go.
> -Kevin

Sounds like a really cool idea to me!  Leave it to Kevin...

Take care all,  Gary "I'll try to shut up for a while" Grossmann