RE: GROO SERIES

This is my opinion strictly from a reader of comic books over the last
28 years (starting at age six).  To me there is something very special
about the single issue format.  There are two main reasons for this.

1.  As I am reading an on going series, there is that moment, OK month,
of suspense at the end of an issue when I have to wait for the next
installment.  Even when a story ended, or in the good old days when most
things were one issue stories, two at the most, there was the desire to
be with these characters again and see what happened next.  That
anticipation, which I also think adds room for people to use their
imagination and try to decide what will happen next is a very important
part of the medium (and I'm not going near the concept of diminishing
imaginations in today's world).

	I don't know if anyone was ever a Doctor Who fan, but I loved that
show, when I watched it as a single 1/2 hour episode on Sunday night.
They were very good at the cliff hanger, and then there was a whole week
of suspense.  When I started watching marathon sessions, it was not
nearly as interesting because each cliff hanger was immediately
resolved.  All the tension and suspense disappeared.

2.  For the most part, I never started a series at the beginning.  I
always stumbled on things that were always several (sometimes several
hundred) issues into the story.  Typically I would by one or two back
issues to get a feel for a line before I would make it part of my
regular buying habit.  This then meant that if I liked something, I
would begin the process of working towards filling in all the holes,
i.e. finding all the back issues to make the complete story.

So I think the monthly format persists for these reasons.  If things
strictly came out in 4-issue sized TPB, I doubt I would be as likely to
try something new.  For me, I traditionally only by TPBs and Hardcovers
of things that either the originals are way out of my price range (The
Marvel Masterworks is a good example, $50 was a lot, but not compared to
FF 1-10) or it is something near and dear to me that I want every
variation no matter how minute.

My 4.3 cents (after inflation)
Jeff "insert witty nickname" K
     -- "Oh boy is this great!!!"