Re: [Groop] I remember...

Regarding the Simonson quote:
Good composition requires that not every element of an image be treated equally. Too much detail in any area that isn't the main focus of the piece usually works against the readibility of the art. This is true of most art such as comics, cartoon animation, and illustration. Some of my peers find the work of, say, an Aragones or Wrightson too "busy" and thus difficult to view (I don't agree with those particular cases but I can certainly see their point) An experienced artist knows how to direct a viewers eye and good compositon/design is oftentimes more difficult to learn than good draftsmanship.
This is not to say that you should draw less skillfully anything that is not your main focus--just know where to concentrate your efforts.

finn

>I believe Nate had a good quote that he quoted from another artist on that
>issue
>
>Something along the lines of "Draw every single mailbox as if it was the
>main point of focus in your picture"
>
>Now, I'm sure Nate will correct me so we can get the proper quote.

~~~ It was Walt Simonson I quoted.  When I met him last November, we
discussed the importance of backgrounds and set up shots.  The boring city
scenes or location shots that let the reader know where the action is about
to take place.  He told me to draw every fire hydrant, seatbelt and
cigarette butt like it was as important as your main characters.  If the
reader doesn't believe in the setting, he/she won't believe anything you're
trying to convey.

Good advice.

~Nate - who's enjoying Weird Al's new CD right now.