Re: RE: [Groop] Wow!

Once the
fight becomes serious, the charm of Groo is gone.

Hmm. I think a better statement might be: Once Groo fights for the right thing at the right time, and for the right side, the charm of Groo is gone. It's usually the circumstances surrounding his involvement, and the bone-headed things he says that make his frays something to laugh about. But when I think about all the times he's wiped off his blade with a grim look on his face, or the scenes of him strolling away from a pile of dead soldiers, I find it difficult to consider his battles(for the most part) funny in a clumsy, lucky, or slap-stick way. I don't think it would be funny in a movie, either, to see an actor clumsily slay an army.

Another ingredient that makes the frays funny is the dialogue of the soldiers waiting in line to be slain. Those reactions are the result of fear in the face of a fierce fighting machine.

That said, it's important to mention that there are several moments in battles where Groo is depicted with his legs around a soldier's neck, or grabbing one by the nose, or slaying after "time-outs" (sorry... just watched Blazers vs. Lakers), but I think the slap-stick element in the battles takes a back seat to situation comedy, comical blood-lust (come back here and let me slay you!), and opponent reaction.

I think that most of Groo's stoogisms happen outside of battle. Like in delicate situations, and socially uptight moments, and with precious or magical items. That's when Groo becomes Chris Farley. Maybe it's important to separate his capacity to do battle from his tendency for accidentally causing disaster.

It's easier to choreograph a moron
accidentally killing someone for laughs, than it is to choreograph a
swordsman of great skill killing someone with the same reaction.

Again, I disagree mainly because I find the situations Mark and Sergio put Groo in to be funnier than his general battery of the masses. If they filmed Groo getting mixed up in battle, and attacking both sides and walking away wondering who won, I think it'd be funny. I just don't think it's been done much in the past, and when somethings never been done before in a medium, the general pre-assumption is that it won't work. I think if they got the dialogue and the timing right, it would.

The fight on the cliff was one of the most entertaining cinematic
swordfights in recent memory, but it was not Groo.  There was enormous
skill employed, but Groo couldn't pull it off, because that scene requires
intelligence on the part of both swordsmen.

Maybe. But what made that fight funny? The fight itself, or the dialogue? I think Groo would pull it off fine (although probably not as either of those characters, or within that story) if he said funny things. It may come down to comedy within tragedy. "Life is Beautiful" comes to mind. Comical, hilarious, funny little occurrences happening within terrible, horrible, serious larger ones. Groo's fighting prowess and skill are an undeniable force that Mark and Sergio simply apply to plot and dialogue where it will be funny.

-Al