Re: [Groop]Re:lovecraft

I have almost all the Call of Cthulu gaming stuff, including the rare cthulu U. graduation kit, this is my post #1, enjoy~!

From: SheikOfEntropy@aol.com
To: groop@groo.com
Subject: Re: [Groop]Re:lovecraft
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:09:52 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/0 10:36:15 PM, ttpbst@ihug.co.nz writes:

>Lovecraft is without a doubt the finest horror author of all time.

BELIEVE IT! The fact of the matter is, there is not a horror writer alive who
would ever disagree with that statement. Everyone, but EVERYONE has borrowed
from HP Lovecraft at one time or another, though usually in the spirit of
homage rather than of plagiarism. Even Sergio's humor-horror stuff owes a
debt of gratitude to Lovecraft. (SEE! I can bring ANYTHING back on topic!!!)

The roleplaying game based on Lovecraft, entitled CALL OF CTHULHU, remains my
favorite RPG ever. It's a wonderfully adaptable gaming system, generally set
in the 1920's (but playable in any era).

You start off your adventuring career as a regular, everyday person - doctor,
lawyer, teacher, private eye, housewife, whatever - who accidentally stumbles
across some evil plot. You encounter minor horrors and disturbed human
cultists, worshippers of the Great Old Ones, and spend most of the game
trying to discover just what the bad guys are up to and trying like HELL to
halt the summoning of some elder god who will annihilate life on earth as we
know it. Unlike other games where you tend to muscle your way through
adventures, you learn to think and trick your way through life, because some
of the monsters you'll be facing cannot EVER be killed (hint: know when to
hold, know when to fold, know when to walk away, KNOW WHEN TO RUN!!!) You try
not to get too attached to player characters, because frankly, if you ever DO
meet up with GREAT CTHULHU, the best your Investigator can realistically ever
hope for is to somehow escape with your sanity intact (doubtful).

Fun, huh?

-Larry Steller AKA The Sheik Of Entropy