"Groo" in McHale's Navy

GROO ON RAMPAGE IN 1960'S SOUTH PACIFIC TV SHOW!    :-)

I was watching an episode of McHale's Navy recently and was surprised and a little amused when one of the crew members was referred to as "Groo". I did a little research and found that it this was a nickname for Seaman Lester Gruber who was played by Carl Ballantine in this 1960's sitcom.

For more info, check out this website:

http://timvp.com/mchale.html

P.S. It seems a little uncanny that Lester (esp. his nose) so much resembles our comic hero Groo (I believe Lester Gruber is the guy in the far left on the first black-and-white picture found in this website). Is is possible that Sergio and Mark subconsiously based Groo on this television character?

~Vaughn Seward