[Groop]Groo in swedish history!

Hi Groop!

I have recently begun studies in history at the university in Stockholm. This is something I have struggled for a long time and I am therefor filled with entusiasm. However, as I looked at the list of proffesors that will be my teachers, I noticed that one of them was named Gro. Ok, its a norwegian name, but there is something else that has bothered me too.

If intrested in history, then youre probably will have a certain subject which is your favorite; a character, period or event. My personal such subject is the early eighteenth century and the dramatic and destructive era that was Swedens age of greatness (early 1600 to 1718), and a certain king called Charles XII - in swedish Karl XII (1682-1718).
In the year 1700, or three hundred years ago, Sweden was attacked by a trio of states - Denmark, Poland and Russia - hungry for revenge since Sweden had been expanding at their territorial expense.
Anyway, this war became the Great Nordic War (1700-1721), and Sweden defeated both Denmark and Poland in its first phase. 1708 Charles XII advanced into russia. As we know, such an operation has never succeded, and the invasion got to a dead end in 1709 outside a small ukrainian town called Poltava (now a large industrial city).
Outside Poltava czar Peter the Great stopped the victoriuos swedish tide and at the decisive battle, Charle was finally stopped and the war turned against Sweden.

As a historian, one of the most important matters are your Theory. Ive got one no other has ever put up concerning the defeat at Poltava (Im sure you have a guess what - who - I am pointing at).
However, it is not enough to just point at one thing and say "he did it!". Thats how media works and we dont want to fall into that category; instead Ill present for you my theory.

Im not going to describe the whole battle of Poltava, since that could take much longer than any of you would like, but some details are essential.
In the official reports and later historical studies on who to blame, there is one name that seems to pop up more than others. Some say, including him self, that he is just a scapegoat for the incompetens of the highest in command. He was general-major Carl Gustaf Roos (an experienced officer who, after the battle at Narva 1700, boasted of his succesful capturing of some russian entranchments at the cost of two thirds of his regiment) and in the battle he got lost with one third of the swedish infantry, went in the wrong direction, unleashed some sacrificial and suicidal attacks against some russian bastions; his tropps were destroyed and the few that survived was captured along with him self.
In a normal study, this would be told without too much speculations in the officers identical details. But this time a closer look at the officers name is one of the fundamental bodies of evidence.

If you look at the shortening of his name it is C G Roos (Carl Gustaf Roos). Something appears doesnt it: C GRoos. It could be C Groos, or Carl Groos; which could mean Groo´s Carl. Suddenly, it is obvious that this is the reason for his fatal mistake (even though I read Roos report after the battle I couldnt find any "did I err?" anywhere).

It could all end here. But, going through a list af swedish captives from the final capitulation of Charles army (he got away though), three days after Poltava, some other details came up that will confirm my theory.
In the swedish artillery there was an officer named Niels Groopman (yes, thats correct)!, and I believe that his presence was the reason why the swedes - even though it had access to a great selection of artillery - never brought more than four (4) of the pieces to the Poltava battle (also a discussed official explanation).
Could Groopman have erred? However, Groopman died while marching with the rest of the prisoners on the way to Moscow in a village called Tomski. Also dead and buried in the same village was hid three closest colleagues; the officers Gustaff Myhrman, Israel Treutiger and the regimental chaplain Erich Westadius, all dead by mysterious causes. Of course, we know better.
Marching, in that long sad line of prisoners of war, besides his friends Johan Segeroth and Nills Wijberg was the lieutenant Petter Grooth. Of the three, of course, only Grooth reached Moscow alive.
Another one, Jacob Grooth (also a prisoner), perhaps brother to Petter, was also there. Even though I couldnt find any mishappenings concerning him in the march, my scholarly guess and consistency of my analysis would be that his death in Toboll 1712 was accidently.

The conclusion is, that Charles XII stood chanceless with so much Groo-power among his ranks. It was just not possible to win. And I have just been going through ONE list: just imagine what could pop up (like the dragoons under colonel Hielm that rode in wrong direction in the battle at Poltava, almost certainly because their pathfinder´s name was Johan Gro(-)mlier). I am certain that if a more extended research in this matter would be done a lot more historical questions would be answered. Perhaps officers calling a certain soldier mendicantwords or other Groo-related explanations.
What we can establish is the fact that there was so much Grooenergy within Charles army that no other invasion of Russia has been succesful ever after; we know what happened to Napoleon and Hitler - and to push it a bit further we could also argument that the accidents like Tjernobyl, the salt-drying of the Aralsea (or the u-boat that sank recently) and other russian desasters could originate from the invasion back in 1708!

Well, to be continued...

To read:
Peter Englund: "The battle at Poltava. The birth of the Russian Empire."
L Cooper: "Many roads to Moscow. Three historic invasions."

På svenska:
Historiska handlingar (HH), 18:4. s. 111, 113, 117, 127
Peter Englund: "Poltava. Berättelsen om en armés undergång".
Carl Gustaf Roos: Sanfärdig Relation om det som wid Fiendens Skantzar wid Pultava passerade d. 28 Junij 1709, i HH 34:2